Gregg Marx as David Banning
Chad Eric Barstad (1967-1970)
Jeffrey William (1970-1973)
Steve Doubet (1975)
Richard Guthrie (1975-1981)
Gregg Marx (1981-1983)
David Banning is a fictional character on the NBC daytime soap opera Days of our Lives.
- Unknown actors (01/1968; recurring)
- Chad Barstad (06/1968-03/1970; recurring)
- Jeffrey Williams (03/1970-03/1973; recurring)
- Steve Doubet (05/1975-06/1975; recurring)
- Richard Guthrie (07/1975; recurring & 07/1975-08/1980; contract)
- Gregg Marx (03/1981-11/1983)
- David Martin Jr. (birth name)
- Bradley Banning (adoptive name)
- Formerly worked for Dr. Stuart Whyland
- Formerly worked for Anderson Manufacturing
- Formerly spied on Kellam Chandler for Alex Marshall
- Trish Clayton (divorced)
- Renée DuMonde (divorced)
- David Martin (biological father; deceased)
- Julie Olson (biological mother)
- Scott Banning (adoptive father; deceased)
- Janet Banning (adoptive father; deceased)
- Richard Martin (biological paternal half-brother; deceased)
- Robert Anderson Jr. (biological maternal half-brother; deceased)
- John Martin (biological paternal grandfather; deceased)
- Helen Martin (biological paternal grandmother; deceased)
- Ben Olson (biological maternal grandfather; deceased)
- Addie Horton (biological maternal grandmother; deceased)
- Tom Horton Sr. (biological maternal great-grandfather; deceased)
- Alice Grayson (biological maternal great-grandmother; deceased)
- William Horton (biological maternal great-great-grandfather; deceased)
- Adelaide Horton (biological maternal great-great-grandmother; deceased)
- Sid Grayson (biological maternal great-great-grandfather; deceased)
- Abigail Grayson (biological maternal great-great-grandmother; deceased)
- Steve Olson (biological maternal uncle)
- Hope Williams (biological maternal half-aunt)
- Tommy Horton Jr. (biological maternal great-uncle)
- Mickey Horton (biological maternal great-uncle; deceased)
- Bill Horton (biological maternal great-uncle)
- Marie Horton (biological maternal great-uncle)
- Spencer Olson (biological maternal first cousin; via Steve)
- Shawn Douglas Brady (biological maternal half-first cousin; via Hope)
- Zack Brady (biological maternal half-first cousin; via Hope; deceased)
- Ciara Brady (biological maternal half-first cousin; via Hope)
- Sandy Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Tommy)
- Melissa Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Mickey; via adoption)
- Sarah Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Mickey; via adoption)
- Mike Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Bill)
- Jennifer Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Bill)
- Lucas Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Bill)
- Jessica Blake (biological maternal second cousin; via Marie)
- Claire Brady (biological maternal half-second cousin; via Shawn)
- Nathan Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Melissa)
- Jeremy Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Mike)
- Abigail Deveraux (biological maternal second cousin; via Jennifer)
- Jack Deveraux Jr. (biological maternal second cousin; via Jennifer)
- Will Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Lucas; deceased)
- Allie Horton (biological maternal second cousin; via Lucas)
- Nick Fallon (biological maternal second cousin; via Jessica)
- Thomas Deveraux (biological maternal third cousin; via Abigail)
- Arianna Horton (biological maternal third cousin; via Will)
Scott Banning (son; with Trish)
Flings & AffairsEdit
- Brooke Hamilton (a.k.a. Stephanie Woodruff) (ex-fiancée)
- Valerie Grant (ex-fiancée)
- Brooke Hamilton (a.k.a. Stephanie Woodruff) (dated)
- Kayla Brady (dated)
David Banning is the biological son of Julie Olson and David Martin, but was raised by Scott Banning. His father was murdered before he was born. At Tom Horton's recommendation, Julie decided to give her baby up for adoption after he was born and he was adopted by Scott and Janet Banning.
The Richard Guthrie YearsEdit
David had little love for his biological mother Julie, and as soon as he could, he left Salem. In 1975, David returned to collect his inheritance from Addie so that he could afford to marry his girlfriend Brooke Hamilton.
When David began to re-forge a relationship with Julie, Brooke become jealous. She began to spread lies about Julie and told David that his mother had been unfaithful, slept with Doug Williams, and that she'd become pregnant with his child. David did not want to believe Brooke, but after seeing Doug and Julie together, he assumed it was true. David felt a renewed hatred for his mother and after a huge fight, he took Doug's car and drove it off a bridge. When his body was not found, David was pronounced dead.
Unbeknownst to everyone, David had survived the crash and was taken in by the Grant family where he met and fell in love with Valerie Grant. Valerie's father discovered David's true identity and informed Julie that her son was alive. David then returned to Salem. Upon returning, he learned that Brooke was pregnant with his child. David proposed to Brooke but she refused to marry him, knowing that he still loved Valerie Grant. That Christmas, David brought Valerie to Salem to meet his friends and family.
In 1976, David and Valerie became engaged but he began to have doubts about being comitted to one woman and had a one night stand with Trish Clayton.
In 1977, Valerie and David broke off their engagement and David began to see Trish Clayton. Later that year, the two were married. In September, Trish gave birth to Scotty Banning.
In 1978, Trish took Scotty Banning and left David. David hired a private investigator to find them and eventually found Scotty living with Jeri Clayton in L.A while Trish was doing a movie. David took Scotty and returned to Salem. There, Stephanie Woodruff began dating David, but when Trish returned from the East coast, the two reconciled and moved back in together.
In 1980, David came to work at Anderson Manufacturing but was also employed by Alex Marshall . Alex wanted David to spy on Kellam Chandler, who was attempting to take over the company. When Mary Anderson learned about this, she had David fired and told him to leave town. David decided to leave Salem and took Scotty with him.
The Gregg Marx YearsEdit
In 1981 after Trish had stolen Scotty from David, David returned to Salem. Once he returned he began to work for Dr. Stuart Whyland. While he was working for him, David discovered Alex Marshall in his office after he had been shot. Because David had picked up the murder weapon, his fingerprints were found on it and he was charged with Alex's shooting and sentenced to seven years in prison. On his way to prison, the truck carrying David crashed and he managed to escape. He hid in the basement of a radio station building until Renee found him and decided to help hide David from the authorities.
While returning from a secret visit with Trish and Scotty, David was shot. He made his way to the Twilight bar and met up with Nick Corelli. Nick removed the bullet and got Valerie Grant to care for David's wound. Nick demanded Julie pay him a large sum of money for David's safe return. When Nick ordered Valerie to pick up the money, she refused and knocked him out. She picked up the money from Julie and gave it to David so he could escape from Salem.
David eventually grew tired of running and turned himself in. But by the time he did, Alex had cleared David of the charges against him.
When Renee was attacked by the Salem Strangler, David was once again falsely accused of trying to kill someone. Luckily, when Renee woke from her coma, she cleared David.
In 1982, David began dating Kayla Brady but turned her away when Renee showed an interest in him. David and Renee were married in November of 1982.
In 1983, Renee became pregnant with David's child but miscarried after falling from a horse.
After Stefano was presued dead in the '83, his will stated that in order for Tony and Renee to earn their inheritance, they would have to live under the same roof for one year. Renee would also have to stay married to David Banning and the first couple to have a child would recieve an extra five million dollars. Renee and David reluctantly moved into the DiMera mansion with Tony and Anna.
David eventually divorced Renee after she tried to kill Anna DiMera. When Renee was discovered murdered, David was the first suspect yet again. When he was cleared of the crime, he left Salem.